This is the estimate of the number of plum varieties cultivated. One arbitrarily distinguishes between dessert plums and drying plums. Some are self-fertile, but most produce better in cross-pollination. See our plum varieties.
A new type of fruit
The program offers an extremely wide spectrum of Japanese plums with highly variable epidermises, usually red flesh and high levels of sugars. The results of the selection show the characteristics of a new type of sweet and tasty fruit with remarkable qualities including a unique aromatic bouquet. The great diversity in the presentation makes it possible to separate the Métis® plums into 4 major families:
- Metis® Oxy is the family that starts the season. It is a fruit with blood-red flesh and dark-skin. A very juicy and aromatic and unique fruit with unexpected flavor. The Metis ® Oxy is characterised by its high content of
- Metis® Tonic is harvested in late summer and autumn. Therefore Metis ® Tonic keeps the nuances … of the summer sun. With its reddish skin and yellow flesh, it is taste is extremely sweet. Very juicy, it brings a breath of freshness after the heat.
- Metis® Safari is the most exotic variety. Its thin skin and crispy flesh gives the fruit a original tart flavour.
- Metis® Aroma is a slightly purple fruit with yellow to red flesh. Remarkably soft, it is a fruit that ripens under the sun with persistent aroma and juiciness.
Another asset: wide commercial availability from mid-June to the end of December.
Star Fruits and Rusticas del guadalquivir
The license managers ensure the development of the range for the European market for several years according to conventional protocol:
- reception of varieties selected byGlen BRADFORD
- implantation on evaluation orchards.The adaptation ability of new cultivars with various European territories is evaluated in Andalucia, Estrémadure, Midi-Pyrenees, Rhône-Alpes, Languedoc-Roussillon and Emilia Romagna for several years.
- implantation in pre-commercial orchards.The trees here are grown to evaluate the behavior of thee cultivars in real-time conditions.
Ultimately, only the best varieties will be grown in production orchards. They will complement the range of Metis® plums placed on the market.
A sector approach
To enhance the potential of the procurement program, Star Fruit and Rusticas Del Guadalquivir chose reliable partners. Assuming its key role in leading this project, Star Fruits is involved in the coordination of all stakeholders to achieve shared goals and ambitions
- Production of high quality fruit expressing all the flavor of the program’s varieties.
- Proposal of attractive packaging, enhancing the quality of the product to meet consumer expectations.
- Promotion and market development of production using a model that privileges economic progress for all project stakeholders.
Metis®, mix of sensations
This ambitious procurement and development program allows for real brand communication that is embodied in the process. For more information: http://www.metis-fruits.com/fr/inicio/